Thursday, September 20, 2018

Baseball crushed by Cooter

The Oran High School baseball team traveled to Cooter yesterday to take on the Wildcats.

These two teams had met in the sectional round last spring in an "instant-classic", as the Eagles won on a walk-off home run and eventually picked up its second state baseball title.

Yesterday, was no game to remember, not even close, as Oran fell to Cooter 17-7 in five innings.

Oran grabbed a quick 1-0 lead but Cooter countered with six of their on in the bottom half of the first to take a lead they would not relinguish.

Kaden Hargrove got the start for the Eagles.  He gave up the six runs, four earned, on two hits, four walks.  There was one error in the inning as well.  Quenton Senciboy came on in relief and recorded the third out.

Oran got three of those runs back in the second.

Carter Heuring reached on a error to start things off.  He moved to second on a wild pitch and third on Luke Patterson's ground out.  He came across on Avery Mitchem's RBI single.  Two wild pitches allowed Mitchem to reach third. After Kole Simms wrangled a two-out walk, Todd Priggel reached on the second infield error of the inning and Mitchem scored and Simms went to second.  Ty Johnson came through with an RBI single to score Simms, making the score 6-4.  The Eagles, unfortunately would get no more that inning and get no closer in the game.

Senciboy allowed a one-out single in the second, but the infield turned a 6-4-3 double play to retire the side.

The Eagles also hit into a double play in the top of the third.

The wheels would fall off for Oran in the bottom of the third as the Wildcats would send 10 to the plate and score 6 more runs.

They used four hits, including three doubles, two walks and an error in the frame to take a 12-4 lead.

Oran refused to die as they scored two in their half of the fourth.  Back to back one-out singles by Senciboy and "K"ole Simms was was followed by a Priggel walk.  Johnson hit a sacrifice fly to plate Senciboy and move Simms to third.  Simms would score on Hargrove's single.  Tristen Schlosser singled to load the bases, but Heuring's line drive up the middle was snagged by the pitcher to end the inning with the score 12-6.

The bottom of the fourth started with a walk and a hit batsman, ending the day for Senciboy.  Simms took over on the mound.  He got the first, but then a single loaded the bases and a walk forced in a run.  With two down, a double drove in two more.  That baserunner was cut down trying to steal.  The score was 16-6 heading into the fifth.

Mitchem took one for the team with one out.  He would come around to score on Simms' two out double, cutting the deficit to nine.

Dane Shands relieved Simms in the fifth.  He got the first man, but the second doubled and scored the winning (mercy-rule) run on a two-out single.

Hargrove (0-3) took the loss.

Sencibooy went two and one-third.  He allowed eight runs, seven earned, on five hits.  He walked three and struck out one.

Simms went one and gave up two runs, both earned, on two hits..  He walked one.

Shands went two-thirds gave up the one earned run on two hits.  He struck out one.

Johnson went two for two at the plate and drove in three.  Simms was also two for two.

With the loss the Eagles fell to 4-7.

They will close out their season on Saturday when the travel to Bernie.

The game time has been pushed up an hour to 10am for jv followed by varsity.

No comments:

Post a Comment